H1 headers are critical for getting page content indexed properly so the search algorithm understands what the page is about and how it can be related to user searches.
Yet for any H1 header to perform well as part of a complete digital marketing strategy, it needs to be well-constructed.
A clear and simple H1 is a powerful tool for ensuring SEO success on any web page.
What Do H1 Headers Do?
Large headers are the most notable and obvious lines on a webpage since they are presented in larger, bold text that makes them more prominent.
Though it is not necessary for every larger header on a page to be an H1, SEO professionals know that H1 headers boost the power and rankability of any web page in multiple ways:
- Indexing and Crawling - H1 headers are one of the first things on a webpage aside from the meta-text that indexers see.
- Page Organization - H1 headers used throughout a page or a website help indexers understand page organization and what content is on the page.
- SEO - By achieving the above, H1 headers provide important SEO help by bringing in more organic traffic while also making content more noticeable and easier for viewers to understand.
Noting these benefits, it is important to include the use of H1 headers as a part of every digital marketing strategy.
Used as the main header on a webpage, an H1 makes a page easier for both the algorithm and user to understand as well as allows the algorithm to relate that page to a search query.
A study on the effectiveness of H1 headers showed that 80% of webpages on the first page of SERPs use an H1, which those listed further back in the SERPs seldom use one.
Experimentation with H1 headers suggests that making the simple change of turning a plain header into a well-written H1 header can dramatically increase ranking.
How To Create A Perfect H1 Header
- Header Text - The text of a good H1 header should describe the page so a user knows what they are about to read and is often very similar to the title tag as well as possibly used as the title of the blog post or article.
- Prominence - H1 headers should be large and prominent, standing out by using either bolded text or some other visual element to differentiate it from all the other text and headers on the page.
- Length - An ideal H1 header is between 20 and 70 characters long with slightly longer being acceptable but not any shorter.
- Message - An effective H1 sends a specific message to the user, explaining the page and guiding them into the content below it.
- Keywords - A long-tailed main keyword used in an H1 header allows web crawlers to better understand the page, offering more SEO help leading to better pagerank.
- Flow - Make H1 headers flow naturally by writing them as a complete sentence or thought.
Make H1 Headers Work For You
An easy way to gain important SEO help for the pages on your website is to use H1 headers.
Skillfully created H1 headers can increase organic traffic considerably by making webpages easier for the browser algorithm to interpret and the user to understand.
To make any webpage more effective, SEO professionals stress the importance of including clear and simple H1 headers in your digital marketing strategy as this little detail can greatly affect page optimization and the performance of your website!